The ievms installation instructions worked great for me in Mountain Lion, with one exception. When I was prompted to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack, I couldn’t enter my password in the password prompt.
To solve this, I did the following:
- Run the ievms command as the instructions indicate.
- Hit Control-C in iTerm (or Terminal.app) to cancel the ievms script when the password dialog you cannot type in appears.
- Double-clicked VirtualBox from /Applications.
- Hit Command-, (comma) to open Preferences.
- Clicked the Extensions Tab.
- Clicked the small Add Package icon to the right of the Extension Packages text box. This shows you a file chooser.
- Hit Command-Shift-G to open a text window to type a path into.
- Typed “~/.ievms” and Hit Enter.
- Selected the VirtualBox Extension Pack from the file box, waited for the install to complete and closed VirtualBox.
Once this is done, follow the ievms install instructions from the beginning again, and it should work great. It did for me!
I hope this helps someone else out there.